Hi Bala,

this is a nice study. Have you tried to use radiative kernels to decompose the ERF (alike what we did in Boucher et al, GRL 2017, https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2017GL074647) ? We also observed a compensation effect between the stratospheric heating and the stratospheric water vapour, but the latter wasn't so large, and we didn't inject very high.

Best regards,

Olivier

Andrews,

We did not do experiments with aerosols above 22 km. It is likely that the cooling effect will be larger when aerosols are at 25 km. Beyond that it is likely that the additional cooling benefits disappear. We need more experiments to confirm this.

The sensitivity to height in our paper arises mainly because of the increases in stratospheric water vapor (which partly offsets the cooling efficiency of the aerosols) that is associated with the stratospheric heating by the aerosols. This increase in stratospheric water vapor is largest when the aerosols (and the heating) is close to the tropopause.

In our paper, we have isolated the effect of just one factor. As Doug has pointed out, the sedimentation effect would also lead to more cooling if aerosols are injected at higher altitudes...

Best,
Bala