Hello Michael,

Absolutely agreed on your point about rich desert ecology, and that we need to be humble in the face of the complex earth system. In all likelihood, all goeengineering methods are in some way 'simplistic' because they intervene in processes which have evolved over time, in symbiosis with the Earth system's changing state, as driven from the outside by Milankovich cycles and tectonic processes.

However, we are at the point now where we are looking for 'least worst' solutions rather than magic bullets which moderate global forcing with little impact on important ecosystem services, as they probably don't exist. Hence, there is a risk calculation where we may need to accept a limited amount of damage to achive the greater good, i.e.,  a reduction in glocal forcing to preserve as many ecosystems as possible. Saving every desert ecosystem with little biomass may be a luxury we cannot afford.

Furthermore, I would argue that we need to shift away from a 'magic bullet' geoengineering paradigm to one which advocates a diverse mix or 'package' of smaller scale solutions which all together have a synergetic impact on forcing, e.g., a mixture of regional aforestation, white roofs, marine cloud brightening, cirrus thinning, enhanced weathering, CCS and so on (these must be scaleable, sustainable and quickly reversible). By doing this, we retain the option to assess these pathways and then emphasize or deemphasize individual options over time as their impacts on society and environment become apparent.

In consequence, one must redefine 'geoengineering' in a way that removes the requirement that any one single method needs to have a measurable impact on global forcing. An example of this is instead is to call methods 'regional geoengineering'. We would also need to refine our notion of what success is for these solution. In other words, a reduction in forcing of 0.01 W m-2 might be called a success, instead of requiring 0.2 W m-2 or similar as a benchmark (arbitrary numbers).  Research would need to reflect this complex mix instead of writing paper after paper on the impacts of e.g. global reforestation alone, or global SAI alone, and so on.

However, in my opinion SAI should be thought of in a different catgory to geoengineering. Recreating Pinatubo or Krakatoa is neither scaleable, or easily reversible and hence gives the rest of geoengineering proposals a bad name. On the other hand, marine or cirrus cloud seeding and its meteorological impacts can be stopped much more rapidly (of course, feedbacks with vegetation may be much slower).

Regards

Oliver

--
Dr. Oliver Branch