Hi Andy

I am not sure if I get my hands around your problem. My proposal would be:

Put all your public WMS  layers in a separate workspace and restrict this
workspace to WMS access.

Create a workspace for protected WFS Layers and restrict access to WFS.

Now, you can add an authentication filter to the WFS workspace using
security filter chains.

Hope, this helps

Please ask if I my answer was confusing :-)

Christian

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 1:23 PM, sulu <andreas.sie...@vorarlberg.at> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> To be more precise i have some layers in a workspace where wms is ok, but
> wfs is not.
> For some priviledged folks access to wfs should be available by adding a
> password and a user to the GetFeature-URL
>
> e.g.:
> http://user:password@myserver
> /geoserver/myworkspace/wfs?SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.1.0&REQUEST=GetFeature&LAYERS=that_particular_layer&............................
>
> After a long Web-Research i could not find anything that walks me through
> that problem.
>
> Restriction by Users/Roles work fine if one logs into geoserver itself but
> need that the possibility to provide user and password in the URL!
>
> So.
>
> 1.) How can i bring Geoserver to ask for a user/pw in the first place?
> 2.) But it should aks only if there is some restriction placed on that
> layer.
>
> Thanks
> Andy

DI Christian Mueller MSc (GIS), MSc (IT-Security)
OSS Open Source Solutions GmbH