Hi Christian Mueller-3,

Thanks for your post.

Can you elaborate on your suggestion to:

/"Put all your public WMS  layers in a separate workspace and *restrict this
workspace to WMS access.*"/?

Are you talking about performing the following process?
(a) Create workspace (i.e. "public_wms")
(b) Edit Workspace "public_wms"
(c) On the "Services" list within "Edit Workspace" tick only "WMS"
(d) Click on "Save"
(e) Publish a layer from a store within the "public_wms" workspace

I have already tried the above and it seems that any layer published within
that workspace can still be accessed using a WFS request using the browser
and a desktop GIS software.

For example I can get the data of all layers within "public_wms" using the
both WFS and WMS in QGIS:
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/public_wms/wms
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/public_wms/ows

or I can get the data in a GeoJSON/GML and so on using my browser or a
script.

Is there any other way that I can *'restrict'* a workspace serving only
'WMS'?

Regards,
D.