Hi Andy

Sending username/password as URL parameters is a bad practice (think about
the browser history) and is not supported by GeoServer.

You have to do the following steps.

- add a user (optional add a user group and add the user to the group)
- add a role and and attach this role to the user or the user group
- add an access rule for your wfs workspace using the role
- add a filter chain with the ANT pattern  "myworkspace/**".
- there is a predefined Basic Authentication Filter, add this filter to
your new filter chain.

Test using a Browser with

http://myserver/geoserver/myworkspace/wfs?SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.1.0&;
REQUEST=GetCapabilities

If you can see a login box, the configuration is correct.

Then add your user/password to your QGIS WFS Layer configuration.

Cheers
Christian

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 9:25 AM, sulu <andreas.sie...@vorarlberg.at> wrote:

> Hi Christian.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I wanted to use just one Workspace in order to hav one single URL to call
> my
> services but i can live with several Worspaces.
>
> My main issue right now is: How can i bring geoserver to ask for a password
> for a specific layer (or workspace) so that i can provice the credentials
> via url
> (http://user:password@myserver
> /geoserver/myworkspace/wfs?SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.1.0&REQUEST=GetFeature&LAYERS=.............)
> or on has to provide user/password if to use that service in e.g. QGIS?
>
> Cheers
> Andy

DI Christian Mueller MSc (GIS), MSc (IT-Security)
OSS Open Source Solutions GmbH