Dear Ben,
Thank you for your response.Unfortunately this did not solve my problem.
I even tried a clean built, on a fresh VM, with only GeoSerever 2.12.2,
NetCDF-4 and the library installation as you suggested, fearing that my
multiple attempts to install the library in the previous VM had resulted in
some conflicts, but I still get the same error.
Is it possible that I am missing an additional package?
Best regards, Maria.

    Στις 10:48 μ.μ. Τετάρτη, 28 Φεβρουαρίου 2018, ο/η Ben Caradoc-Davies
<b...@transient.nz> έγραψε:

 Maria,

the easiest way to install the NetCDF-4 native libraries on Ubuntu 16.04
is to install the binary package provided by your distribution with:

sudo update
sudo apt-get install libnetcdf11

Restart Jetty and everything should just work.

The GeoServer documentation should suggest using distribution packages
where available, rather than building from source.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 01/03/18 01:56, Maria Krommyda via Geoserver-users wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> Let me start be giving you the current status of my installation progress. I
> have installed on a Ubuntu 16.04 machine with openjdk version 1.8.0_151 the
> Geoserver 2.12.2 using the Jetty server.I have successfully installed the
> WPS, importer and geomesa-accumulo extentions.I am currently trying to
> install the NetCDF extention.I have downloaded the correct jar for the
> GeoServer version, added them to the lib folder in the
> geoserver_path/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF and I can see the NetCDF option
> under Create new data source->Raster data source-> NetCDF.
> I have also tried, but apparently failed, to install the NetCDF-4 native
> libraries as I need to import NetCDF-4 data files. I have followed the
> instruction
> http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/extensions/netcdf-out/nc4.html but
> upon starting the GeoServer I get the error:
> WARN [serverStartup] - Nc4Iosp: NetCDF-4 C library not present
> (jna_path='/usr/local/lib/', libname='netcdf').
> Please note that the jna_path is not null, as it is implied in the
> installation instructions, in the error that I get, however it is not set by
> me and running echo $jna_path from the same terminal, before and after
> starting the GeoServer returns the expected null.I think that the error might
> come from step 5 in the installation instructions where it say "Make sure to
> add the lib folder of the package you have extracted, to the PATH environment
> variable."I am not sure to which extracted package is referred, given that
> none of the zlib, hdf5 and NetCDF-4 downloads include a lib folder. What I
> did instead was add the lib folder of my installation directory, based on the
> example /work/libs/nc4libs/lib, to the PATH environment.I have also tried to
> install the NetCDF-4 library at the /usr/local/lib/ path but that didn't
> change the behavior.
> Any help and ideas of what might cause such error are highly appreciated. If
> you need any additional information please let me.
> Thank you very much for you time, Maria.

> If you want to request a feature or an improvement, also see this:
> https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Successfully-requesting-and-integrating-new-features-and-improvements-in-GeoServer

Ben Caradoc-Davies <b...@transient.nz>
Director
Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>