Maria, replies on-list please so everyone can benefit and assist.

Did you install the netcdf-out plugin? Is the next line after the "Nc4Iosp: NetCDF-4" warning "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/jna/Library"?

The netcdf-out plugin provides the jna jar, required to load the native libraries. Without this plugin, the plain netcdf plugin will work fine, but the Unidata netcdf4 jar it includes will still try and fail to load the native libraries, producing the "Nc4Iosp: NetCDF-4" warning you see followed by "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/jna/Library". Once you install the netcdf-out plugin, together with the libnetdcf11 library you have already installed, everything should just work with no "Nc4Iosp: NetCDF-4" warning. I have tested this on Ubuntu 16.04.4.

"Stock" just means standard, with no extra packages like an OSGeoLive or other rebuilt iso image. It looks like you are using standard packages.

The locate results are as expected. The shorter filename will be a symbolic link to the longer. This is normal.

Kind regards,
Ben.