Hi Lareina - taking this over to the user list...

The epsg-hsql plugin needs the ability to write to disk, depending on
your application server it may not have that ability. Do you have any kind
of logs you could look at in order to check? Note that GeoServer is a
Java EE application and it uses epsg-hsql successfully so we know it
can be done.

Jody