Your applet should either use a real database installed on your sever
and made available to the applet (ie epsg-oracle or epsg-postgres), or
make use of something it can use on the client side (ie. epsg-wkt ).

The epsg-hsql can only be used by a desktop application, or a server
application (where the application container lets the web app work with
some temporary files on disk).

Cheers,
Jody