What class is allowed to do what (ie access disk) is kind of up to your
classloader. Applets are loaded with a restricted classloader (that is
why epsg-hsql cannot be used with an applet). Some application servers
also restrict what a web applicaiton is allowed to do (I am not sure
what you are running? Jetty? Tomcat? WebSphere?).

So even if the geotools directory is creaed in /tmp (it may be from
another run when you were testing?) - your applet or web application may
not be able allowed to read it.
Jody