No discussion of 1:1 maps would be complete without mention of Umberto
Eco's essay "On the Impossibility of Drawing a Map of the Empire on a
Scale of 1 to 1"

It is a must read (as is the entire book, really):

http://books.google.com/books?id=_ntDTaMUys8C&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq="On+th
e+Impossibility+of+Drawing+a+Map+of+the+Empire+on+a+Scale+of+1+to+1."&so
urce=bl&ots=E3ljUpI76K&sig=VIxB7BKrHectseJtMpcD8fydpUg&hl=en&ei=iZ9xS7_-
J4bYsgOxmbiTCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAg#v=
onepage&q=%22On%20the%20Impossibility%20of%20Drawing%20a%20Map%20of%20th
e%20Empire%20on%20a%20Scale%20of%201%20to%201.%22&f=false
<http://books.google.com/books?id=_ntDTaMUys8C&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=%22On
+the+Impossibility+of+Drawing+a+Map+of+the+Empire+on+a+Scale+of+1+to+1.%
22&source=bl&ots=E3ljUpI76K&sig=VIxB7BKrHectseJtMpcD8fydpUg&hl=en&ei=iZ9
xS7_-J4bYsgOxmbiTCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBIQ6AEw
Ag#v=onepage&q=%22On%20the%20Impossibility%20of%20Drawing%20a%20Map%20of
%20the%20Empire%20on%20a%20Scale%20of%201%20to%201.%22&f=false>

Perry