I guess that's the question: Is it a "moratorium on research"?

The short statement
<https://www.solargeoeng.org/non-use-agreement/open-letter/> clearly states
none of this should restrict "legitimate" climate research. Meanwhile,
neither the short statement nor the "extended argument
<https://wires.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wcc.754>" defines
"legitimate." The longer statement clearly states that research leading to
"development" is impermissible.

So yes, back to square one: I realize SCoPEx is out (per the "extended
argument"), but is it OK to fly an ER2 into the Tonga volcano plume and
study chemical processes?

*Gernot Wagner, **New York University (on leave at Columbia Business
School, spring 2022)*
gwagner.com
*Keep in touch: *gwagner.com/#newsletter