I'm currently thinking of what would be needed to make gerbv
a full-featured panelization tool.

I think we've already got much:

. a good Gerber and Excellon parser (better than many other parsers)
. the option to translate, mirror or rotate layers
. the option to write the output file back
. a GUI giving the user an idea about what's going on

I think the next feature that would be needed for panelization is
an option to merge two layers.  I'm trying to find my way through
gerbv_image_t.  Is there a bit more of explanation beyond the few
comments in gerbv.h?

My current guess, after digging through an image read from a RS274X
file is about that:

. obviously, make sure both images have the same layertype

. apertures need to be merged
Well, for a start, I guess it's ok to not optimize, and just
start at APERTURE_MAX/2 for the merged-in image, but later on,
apertures should be optimized; a temporary translation table will
result

. layers
What about multiple layers, just append them?  Where are they
referenced?

. states, amacro
I have no idea about these.  Just concatenate the lists?

. info
Calculate new max bounds?

. netlist
Concatenate the lists, rewriting the aperture number according to
the translation table from above.

. gerbv_stats, drill_stats
Just add both.

Well, I see there is already a function merge_images() in callbacks.c.
I don't think it follows the idea I have in mind though, but maybe
both ideas could be combined?

Would appreciate any feedback.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/