Hi Richard,

> > Oh, download_history, good idea.  I add each manually to the PVR.
> > Here's my episodenum, mode, versions, and the end of the filename.
> >
> >      $ awk -F\| '$2 ~ /^His Dark/ {sub(/.*_/, "", $7); print $(NF-2), $6,
> > $8, $7}' \
> >      >     ~/.get_iplayer/download_history
> >      1 hvfhd1 audiodescribed,original original.mp4
> >      2 hvfhd1 audiodescribed,technical technical.mp4
> >      3 hvfhd1 audiodescribed,technical technical.mp4
> >      4 hvfhd1 audiodescribed,technical technical.mp4
> >      5 dvfhd2 audiodescribed,original original.mp4
> >      6 dvfhd2 audiodescribed,technical technical.mp4
> >      7 dvfhd2 audiodescribed,original original.mp4
> >      8 dvfhd1 audiodescribed,technical technical.mp4
> >      $
>
> The versions field is telling you the available versions, and the end
> of the filename is telling you the version you  downloaded.

Yes, that's why I selected both of them.  :-)

> I can't see anything in what you have shown which suggests you got the
> audiodescribed version when you didn't want it.

Because my email above was after the one where I thanked you for
pointing out CDN-selection might help:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2019-December/012652.html
Thus I managed to obtain technical by the time I analysed
download_history.

> download_history is written incrementally (append mode), so if you
> have downloaded the last episode twice there ought to be two records.

I tend to ed(1) download_history to delete a PID if I want to try again
rather than use --force as I'm not certain of every aspect of the
latter's actions.  I've just obtained E08 again without excluding the
Bidi CDN,

    INFO: Downloaded: 41.70 MB (00:57:20) @ 17.56 Mb/s (dvfxsd2/ll) [audio]
    INFO: Downloaded: 614.02 MB (00:57:20) @ 68.22 Mb/s (dvfxsd2/ll) [video]

and now get two entries for it, as you suggest.

    $ awk -F\| '$2 ~ /^His Dark/ {sub(/.*_/, "", $7); print $(NF-2), $6, $8,
$7}' \
    >     ~/.get_iplayer/download_history
    8 dvfhd1 audiodescribed,technical technical.mp4
    8 dvfxsd2 audiodescribed,technical audiodescribed.mp4
    $

Interesting how I once again get the low-resolution audiodescribed
version despite those ‘Downloaded’ showing the ‘/ll’ CDN.  If I download
it a third time, adding ‘--exclude-supplier bidi’ then I upgrade again
to technical, still /ll.

    INFO: Downloaded: 55.78 MB (00:57:20) @ 63.75 Mb/s (dvfhd1/ll) [audio]
    INFO: Downloaded: 1953.86 MB (00:57:20) @ 156.31 Mb/s (dvfhd1/ll) [video]

I think what happens is without the bidi exclusion, technical is
attempted from bidi, that fails, audiodescribed is tried instead, that
also fails from bidi, and then the next CDN is tried, /ll, that works,
but we haven't started at the beginning of the versions, instead staying
stuck on audiodescribed:

    INFO: Downloading tv: 'His Dark Materials: Series 1 - 08. Betrayal
(m000csdk) [technical]'

    INFO: Downloaded: 0.00 MB (00:00:00) @ 0.00 Mb/s (dvfhd1/bi) [audio]
    WARNING: Failed to download file segment [0]
    WARNING: Response: 400 Bad Request
    WARNING: No streams available for 'technical' version (m000d182) - skipping
(retry)

    INFO: Downloading tv: 'His Dark Materials: Series 1 - 08. Betrayal
(m000csdk) [audiodescribed]'
    INFO: Downloaded: 0.00 MB (00:00:00) @ 0.00 Mb/s (dvfxsd1/bi) [audio]

--
Cheers, Ralph.