[on reimplementation of libGGI2D]

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Andreas Beck wrote:

[clip]
> - There is an urgent need for 2D drawing functionality by several groups.
> - LibGGI2D is unmaintained and doesn't carry the usual GGI License.
>
> So please - those who need it: Get together and rewrite it. Specify all
> your needs and make a header-style proposal.
>
> A few proposals to get you started:
>
> - ROP 256

What's this mean?

> - arbitrary length patterns for lines and background.
> - ggi2D equivalents of all LibGGI drawing primitives that obey the extended
>   markups above.
> - triangles, trapezoids (PM2 can accelerate aligned trapezoids) polygons,
>   arbitrarily positioned ellipses and arcs
> - rounded-edge rectangles ?

special case of circle draw.  Really quite simple.

> - spline/bezier shapes ?

Okay a little more complicated.  Okay a lot.  Look how Java 2.0 handles
this one it's not too bad...

> - streched (Cross-)blitting.

Frequently accelerated.  BITBLT's are almost -always- accelerated though.

I would -love- to see a pipeline proposal:
how to handle rendering pipeline.  AKA OpenGL's specs :)
I'm not saying OpenGL is the best way of looking at things... but that
style's quite suitable to most accels + most libs.

something like:
[complex command]
        -> handle clipping;  can insert "stencil" bitop to for this...;
        -> [select bitop]
        -> [run series of render-ops]

I dunno.
bitop -> eg. AND/XOR/OR/... + bitmasks...
renderops -> simpler render commands that are usually acceled.  Like
lines.  And points.  And rectangular fills...  And BITBLT's.

Folks, please, what do you think of this?  (I hope I've not ended up in
everyone's /dev/null)

(and the only request I have for clipping is...  Be able to handle
stencils and rectangular clipping regions.... and be able to draw onto
stencils :)

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis

PS: how do I change my [EMAIL PROTECTED] destination?  I'm now using
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  though really I should just pull out of being on
GGI's lists altogether I haven't done any help in at least a year.  And
even then I could have just uploaded patches to whom it may concern.