On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Rodolphe Ortalo wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> >     Sure.  I'll try to collect all the ideas from the mailing list
> > archives and come up with a proposal over the weekend.  Is there still any
> > interest in the LibXMI idea, or should I assume that we are trying to
> > design the ideal 2D library from the ground up?
>
> (Oops. Once again the last time... :-))
>
> I'm still interested in libxmi, it _may_ save you some time if it can
> provide the software-only rendering routines for free.

        I agree, and after having looked over both LibXMI and the gnu
plotutils which use XMI, I think it will work out pretty nicely.  LibXMI
isn't the ultimate 2D library, but it is here now, tested and used, and
for being based on the X11 primitives it is actually pretty well
architected.  I'm gonna port it and table the other 2D-from-the-ground-up
idea for later, if XMI doesn't give other people what they need.

> But, of course, a
> fully new 2D library would be perfect also (but maybe it's a lot of work
> to do the software emulation).

        I would be quite a bit of work.  XMI has a lot more immediate uses
and can (hopefully) be ported to the LibGGI environment quickly and
easily.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'