On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Andreas Beck wrote:

> > int ggiStrechCrossBlit(ggi_visual *src, int sx, int sy, int  sw,
> >        int sh, ggi_visual *dst, int dx, int dy, int dw, int dh);
> > It should does the same as ggiCrossBlit, except it also performs
> > streching.
>
> Hehe - that was in old LibGGIs. we took it out for its complexity.

        Well, it is an atomic drawing op on Savage4 hardware at least.
But I agree that it is not necessary to have in LibGGI.

> > But I think, this should go into libggi and not libggi2d...
>
> No. LibGGI should be a very basic set.
>
> O.K. let's summarize:
>
> - There is an urgent need for 2D drawing functionality by several groups.
> - LibGGI2D is unmaintained and doesn't carry the usual GGI License.
>
> So please - those who need it: Get together and rewrite it. Specify all
> your needs and make a header-style proposal.

        Will do, just gimme some time over the weekend OK?

> A few proposals to get you started:
>
> - ROP 256

        Yes.

> - arbitrary length patterns for lines and background.

        Multisource ROPs could handle this.

> - ggi2D equivalents of all LibGGI drawing primitives that obey the extended
>   markups above.

        Including text?

> - triangles,

        All flat, no perspective stuff?

> trapezoids (PM2 can accelerate aligned trapezoids)

        So can Trio64 and up.

>   polygons,

        Should this be different from triangles?  We'll have to decompose
the polygons into triangles or triangle fans in many cases anyway, in
order to accelerate them efficiently with some hardware. DrawPolygon(vis,
triangle, ...) is just a degenerate case of this.

>   arbitrarily positioned ellipses and arcs

        Yes.

> - rounded-edge rectangles ?

        Multisource ROP blit, superimposing a circle and a square.

> - spline/bezier shapes ?

        What hardware accelerates these?

> - streched (Cross-)blitting.

        Stretching can be handled by allowing different source and
destination geometries.

> Now go for it !

        Sure.  I'll try to collect all the ideas from the mailing list
archives and come up with a proposal over the weekend.  Is there still any
interest in the LibXMI idea, or should I assume that we are trying to
design the ideal 2D library from the ground up?

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
        - Scientist G. Richard Seed