On Fri, 26 May 2000, Tomek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Andreas Beck wrote:
> >
> > > 1. I'm runing console on framebuffer (800x600 32bpp)...
> >
> > What kind of framebuffer ? Matrox ? VESA ? KGIcon based ?
> >

> It's VESA framebuffer.
>
> > > After I've installed libggi I have problems with display...
> > > When libggi's using framebuffer (console under framebuffer),
> > > horizontal and vertical frequency of display does not match
> > > to my monitor :(
> >
> > You need to set up /etc/fb.modes.
>
> I don't have such file :(
> I found only fb config file in libGGI dir...

Well, I assume you haven't installed the fbset-utility.
You can check that! First type:

fbset

and if you get an error like

"command not found"

then you have to install the fbset-utility.

> > Please turn on GGI_DEBUG=255.
>
> How?

Type: "export GGI_DEBUG=255" and run your app.

> What it gives?

An debugging output, you have to send it to this ML, so that we can help
you to track your problem down...

> > If it the displays:
> >
> > display-fbdev: cannot get timing from /etc/fb.modes. Just hoping it works.
>
> No. It doesn't display anything, just runing program.
> Actually I see nothing what's happening after runing application :(

Do you mean, your screen is blank?

> > > When I'm runing same application under console without
> > > framebuffer (vga=normal) I see nothing,
> >
> > It probably invokes SVGAlib, then, which seemingly doesn't work correctly
> > for your card.
>
> I have diamond viper v550 (16MB AGP)...
> Do I have to change my graphic card?!

No. You have to use the fbdev-target. If you want to use the
svgalib-target, you must disable/unload your VESAfb driver. And also you
have to check, if svgalib supports your graphic card.

If svgalib supports it, then there is a configuration
error and/or a bug. If not, then the VGA-modes should work.

Generally the X-target should always work.
If you want to do that, and your VESAfb-driver is loaded you have to use
XGGI. If your VESAfb-driver is not loaded, you have to use a normal
x-server...

> > > or above problemoccures...
> >
> > That might be caused by either an fbcon mode being active (VESAfb) and
> > /etc/fb.modes unset or SVGAlib being engaged, when no fbcon is found
> > and failing.
>
> Yes, I have VESAfb...
> I don't have file /etc/fb.module (or any similiar) :(

The file you mean is /etc/fb.modes

> Do I need some libraries, or program (fbcon)???

As I said above, you have to install the fbset-utility.

> > > As I said before, my console is 800x600 32bpp using
> > > framebuffer. I can run my program in ggi only with my console
> > > settings. Why?
> >
> > Umm - does it work, or doesn't it ?
>
> What works? My program? Yeah, my first program draws dot sinus ;)
> When I'm trying to set mode for example 640x480, while my console
> is 800x600 an error occures :(
> But if I'm setting 800x600, or GGI_AUTO everything's OK...

Well, the reason is:

> > What driver are you using ? If you use VESAfb, this is normal. VESAfb sets
> > up the resolution while still in Realmode using BIOS calls. Resolution is
> > fixed after boot.
> >

> I'd like my applications to be independent of machine...

Ah ... you love high portability?

> If someone would use VESAfb 640x480, but my applications need 800x600,
> the program won't run :(

see above.

> What kind of framebuffer can change it's resolution not at boot time?

All drivers, which don't use any BIOS calls in realmode...

> My kernel (2.2.14 i386) supports also matrox framebuffer, but I think
> it's only for matrox's cards?

That's right.

> Where can I get KGIcon framebuffer and it's specification?

It's in the ggi-snapshots. You can use it, _if_ there is a driver for your
card...

> > CU, ANdy
>
> TANKS!!!
> CeDeROM