"Jon M. Taylor" wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Andreas Beck wrote:
>
> > > I am trying to run berlin (http://www.berlin-consortium.org/) on fbdev.
> > > I am  using a cvs-version of ggi and libart (both from last week) to
> > > write to a memory visual and copy that to the screen visual.
> >
> > O.K. - so you don't do any screen-switching with Set*Frame - right ?
> >
> > > So we have only one call to 'flush' per frame.
> >
> > Hmm - this should never flicker. What does flicker - only the changing
> > parts or the whole screen ?
>
>         I think what he is seeing is the fake double-buffer hack I put
> into GGIMesa.

no !
What we are doing is very simple:
We draw with libart into a memory visual which then, once the draw traversal
is over, is crossblitted into the screen visual. There is no other double
buffering involved, no mesa either. This is the scenario Tobias was describing
in his first mail. That's the default way berlin does the rendering, whether
GGI itself is targetted at X or /dev/fb. (We do have a GGIMesa Renderer but
that's a totally different story). Now, while I can draw to /dev/fb without
problems (ATI Rage II), it appears that Tobias gets the mentioned flickering
on his matrox card.

Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique