On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Quoting Andreas Beck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > Yeah, I know - all that sounds pretty pessimistic. And I always feel
> > pretty sad, when it comes to that topic. GGI is "my baby" more than
> > any other open source project. And there is quite some blood, sweat
> > and tears I and several other people put into it, so it really hurts
> > to see it fall in decay. I'm pretty busy these days juggling two jobs,
> > so I don't have so much time left to work on GGI. While this is bad for
> > GGI, it helps a little to distract me from my "broken heart" about
> > the project's state.
> > But maybe some folks here would like to cheer me up a little ?
> >
> > What GGI needs is a driving force. Look at the mailing list. It's quiet.
> > Really quiet. The only postings are a few newbies seeking help or asking
> > for
> > features, and from time to time, me, Marcus or a few others that annouce
> > a little new feature they coded up, because _they_ needed it.
> >
> > Come one folks ! A project as big as GGI doesn't live by half a dozen
> > semi-active coders. At least we need some _motivation_.
>
> > Tell us what you need, tell us _that_ you need it, give us a hand
> > implementing it, report bugs, and so on !
>
> Despair not for ggi is not dead!
>
> It is the foundation for Berlin

        Not for much longer, at least not exclusively.  They are moving
towards abstracting their DrawingKit concept to include abstracted drawing
primitives, so that (for example) SDL could be used as the native system
rendering layer.  This is _GOOD_ for GGI, because the more heterogeneous,
flexible and powerful Berlin's rendering abstractions become, the more
functionality GGI has to "play up" to.

> which will probably get public attention
> sooner or later.

        Berlin is already fairly well-known, and seems to have shed most
of its early bad reputation (as has GGI, mostly).

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
        - Scientist G. Richard Seed