On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 10:29:43AM -0400, Carol Spears wrote:
> Simon Budig wrote:
> >
> > Because the benefit from commenting a (well written) tutorial is probably
> > not worth the additional effort to implement the commenting functionality -
> > aside from discussions about the right system (Squishdot, Slashcode etc.pp.).
> > It is hard enough to agree on a system for the actual content.
> >
> > Feedback to the author of the tutorial is a better idea (because he
> > can fix the tutorial) and is way easier to implement.
> >
> > Bye,
> >         Simon
> >
> I agree with Simon, comments on tutorials help only with tutorial
> writing.  This should be done before the tutorial is put in place.
> I hate when I have to wait for a lot of crap to load when I need help
> NOW(!) because someone thought it important for me to know he liked the
> tutorial.  I prefer to assume that the people who are running the site
> already knew that it was a good tutorial and that is why it can be found
> at gimp.org.

"Live" comments on tutorials CAN be helpful in a couple circumstances:

  - They provide additional info or links that have good longevity and
    are closely related with the material

  - They point out flaws in the tutorial and suggest corrections

For the latter, the comment could be deleted after the correction has
been made. A publicly visible correction has two purposes: it can help
visitors who come to the page before the main info is updated, and it
can shame the author into making a correction. As a lazy author
myself, I know I sometimes put off making corrections if there isn't a
big incentive.

All other comments are generally worthless.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]     Zachary Beane     http://www.xach.com/