> Can somebody explain to me why bug reports are A Bad Thing in this
> case?
>
> I can understand that with code that is changing fast, yesterday's
> bug report can be yesterday's news, but if bug reports are of no use
> at all (in other words, the developers only fix the problems they can
> find themselves), then why release the software in the first place?
> To me, a release either means the software can be used or it can be
> tested.

Because it is too broken.  It would result in 6 zillion bug reports.
The release is intended for DEVELOPERS... for people who want to hack on
it and make patches to fix things.  Really most of these people should
be getting it from CVS, but an opinion was expressed that they should
not have to get it from CVS and that a release was required.