On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 07:35:55AM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

>         Don't you have to maintain backwards compatibility with your own
> user base?  I certainly expect that you will change things to support new
> features (CMYK, etc.), but since old GIMP users have to be able to read
> those files, your changes would have to be backwards compat.

We can easily write our XCF loader to handle multiple file formats.
(There are already two XCF file versions; the loader identifies the
version based on a magic cookie in the header and changes its loader
behavior appropriately; the saver uses the oldest version that is able
to accurately represent the image being saved.)  We're not really that
concerned with older GIMPs being able to read XCF files saved by newer
GIMPs.

--
                         I love catnip mice.
                   It's why I chew their heads off.