Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

Yes, calling the new release 2.0 is a LIE.  I cannot emphasize this
strongly enough.  It is a lie because we have told many, many people what
2.0 will do.  To release a 2.0 without these features is pure
misrepresentation.  It is much too late to put the worms back into the
can.

"Me Too."

I've expressed my opinion before, but here are some links:

http://developer.gimp.org/gimp-future

Notable points:

The 1.3.x "Cleanup for 2.0" branch
 o Port gimp to gtk+-2.0
 o Cleanup some internal structures
 o Implement a few, well defined, new features
 o Think about a new way to handle plug-in distribution

The 1.9.x "Building GIMP 2.0" branch
o GEGL -- Gimp 'E' Graphical Library
o GCim -- The convergence integrated media object and utility library.

Colophon:

Feel free to send updates/comments/fixes/flames/whatever. We will keep this document up-to-date and post new versions when neccessary.

Sven & Mitch

Second link:

http://developer.gimp.org/gimp-todo.html

Lots of features listed, all of them targetted at GIMP 1.4, none of which mention GEGL and fully conform the above document. Some of which, in fact, I don't think have even been completed. ("Script-Fu overhaul", "Image/File Information", ?)

Chris