Carol Spears wrote:

However, I read recently about artifacts appearing in compressed pngs, so this might not be the miracle fix I had hoped for.

Where did you see that?

PNG uses a lossless compression scheme - if there are 'artifacts' in the
image that were not there when the image was given to the PNG library then
that is an extremely serious bug!!

I find this very hard to believe.

However, there are people who take an image (eg from a digital camera) in
JPEG (which is lossy and has artifacts) and CONVERTING them to PNG and then
seeing artifacts.

Steve Baker                      (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
L3Com/Link Simulation & Training (817)619-2466 (Fax)