Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

At 8:26 PM -0400 8/13/03, Carol Spears wrote:

What about mng? It contains png and has layers and comments.

Yes, but still has the limitations of no-CMYK (Lab, ICC, etc.) colorspaces (among other things) out of the box...

The last time I got the mng libraries, they came along with liblcms. Are you sure that liblcms does not do all of this?

Seems to be basically unmaintained.

PNG/MNG/JNG is fully supported and maintained by the libpng group, which is headed by Glenn Randers-Pehrson who is also one of the maintainers (along with myself) of ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick.

Sorry, my confusion. It is the plugin at that other ill-maintained godforsaken software package that is having maintenance reviews or something.

Rightly or wrongly, I consider ImageMagick to be the gimps command line
until it gets too ugly and you need to start scripting.  Probably this
is wrong also?

tiff is so old. it seems like many old ideas have a lousy way of handling some of the new ideas. Sort of like comparing oggs to mp3's,
the way I understand it, the framing idea is sort of a miracle to work
in mp3's the way it does while with oggs this idea was built in from the beginning. This explanation explains the sound quality differences
to me. I am wondering if this same line of thinking can be applied to
tiffs?

carol