On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 13:21, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Am Fre, den 19.12.2003 schrieb Sven Neumann um 19:55:
> > I am pretty sure it loads the DTD from disk if you provide it an XML
> > catalog file that shows it where the DTD is found. This file is
> > usually called /etc/xml/catalog. See http://xmlsoft.org/catalog.html
> I have this catalog file and xsltproc tries to open it, however it still
> continues trying to load the files from net. This is a Debian unstable
> system, all DTDs are installed and since some package created this file
> I assumed that Debian would automagically make it work, but no....
> Do you know where to modify the system to get it work?
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE catalog PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD XML Catalogs V1.0//EN"
>   "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/release/1.0/catalog.dtd";>
> <catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog">
> <delegatePublic publicIdStartString="-//OASIS//DTD XML Catalogs V1.0//EN"
> catalog="/etc/xml/xml-core.xml"/>
> <delegateSystem
> systemIdStartString="http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/release/1.0/catalog.dtd";
>  catalog="/etc/xml/xml-core.xml"/>
> </catalog>

Is that (the above) everythin in your /etc/xml/catalog file? If so, then
it's not really surprising that you are running out onto the Internet
for everything -- the catalog file is essentially empty. Debian has
unfortunately had very poor support for XML catalogs until quite
recently. I don't know what the current level is like, since I do not
use that distribution.

As a start to repairing the problem, have a look at
http://www.xmlsoft.org/buildDocBookCatalog which is a shell script to
make the required entries for DocBook 4.1.2. If you have a different
version of the DocBook DTDs installed (quite possible, since 4.2 is the
latest release), you will need to tweak the script a little, but not

Note that this script creates a separate catalog file and then adjusts
/etc/xml/catalog to point to the newly created file (only) for DocBook
lookups. That is the standard way to do this stuff, rather than
populating /etc/xml/catalog with all your entries (makes packaging
easier, too). It may be that the Debian DocBook DTD package already
ships a catalog file, in which case you only need to add the appropriate
lines to /etc/xml/catalog, which you can take out of the above script.

If your catalog set up is working, then XInclude processing will also
use it (libxml2 uses the catalogs by default).