I want to point out that we, the GIMP developers, are well aware of
the problems you outlined. A few of them will need substantial changes
and are supposed to be addressed with GEGL. Others (like TIFF tags)
are rather trivial to fix and I wonder why you did not attempt to fix
them yourself or get someone to fix them for you.

So much said, your comments don't fit very well into this thread and I
changed the topic in an attempt to keep discussion on them separate
from the funding discussion.

PS: I assume that you tuned your tile-cache setting and did not attempt
    to work on 500MB images with the default settings, or did you?