]It's a bummer that it's not something like UTF-8 (and quite odd,
]if the spec came from Japan), but editing ASCII is still useful
]for quite a large number of people.
]What do modern cameras sold in Japan save in the EXIF fields?

Japan has a romanized alphabet that's corresponds to their characters.  Other
languages like Chinese have a more difficult problem because some dialects have
no standard romanized phonetic system.

I wouldn't go to any extra effort to keep multibyte systems from working with
data that's supposed to be ASCII, nor would I add any special functionality to
support multibyte characters.  Basically, do the straightforward implementation
of the spec, with one exception:

I would, as a user, expect my programs to be able to handle any filename, and
blame any failure to do so on the image editing tool rather than the spec.  At
the same time, any default filename generated should be within the 8.3 standard.

Now includes pop-up blocker!