From: Manish Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: michael chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: lode leroy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp-cvs on msys/mingw
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:45:38 -0700

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:40:37PM -0400, michael chang wrote:
> On 6/28/05, Manish Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Changing stuff outside of gimp should be considered last resort.
> >
> > > which is still not perfect: I modified python.m4 to replace "\"es by "/"es:
> > >
> > > [am_cv_python_pythondir=`$PYTHON -c "from distutils import sysconfig;
> > > print
> > > sysconfig.get_python_lib(0,0,prefix='$PYTHON_PREFIX').replace('\\','/')"
> > > 2>/dev/
> > > null ||
> >
> > Why is this needed at all? gimp doesn't use $pythondir anywhere.
> I don't know, but maybe this has something to do with python-fu or
> whatever it is [scripting in The GIMP with Python, as opposed to e.g.
> Perl or Script-Fu].  IIRC, some info about Python-Fu building on Win32
> just came through the gimp-devel list, so... *shrugs*

yes. my info on compiling gimp from cvs :-)

Uh, that's what this thread is about, pygimp on Win32.

This is indeed needed to compile the pygimp plugin on Win32/MSYS/MinGW.

This particular test determines the libraries needed to link agains libpython.
the result is c:\Python24\Lib\site-packages.

MSYS (especially sh.exe) expects that to be c:/Python24/Lib/site-packages.

The point being, $pythondir isn't used by the pygimp build stuff at all,
so changing the above automake stuff won't actually do anything.