michael chang wrote:

> Solution: Linux/POSIX emulation layer.  Cygwin is usually used.
>
> MinGW/MSYS is also workable, IIRC.  I've never compiled GIMP on either,
> though.

For GIMP, I'd say that MinGW is preferred - not that there shouldn't any
problems with Cygwin, but anyone trying this might be on his own, most
other people use MinGw...

> Of course, at the end of the day, I think it'd be nicest if they made
> an installer for the Windows binaries for the development releases,
> but I'm quite sure that's probably more work than it's worth.

Problem: how to keep each of the places distributing GIMP (some net
magazines, other random websites, users) from mistaking it as a new
stable release.

Michael

--
The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp