Here is what I would like to see in Gimp. I hope that some of it can be of use.
1) The ability to rotate the canvas freely is very important to
graphic artists. I don't know how cucumbersome/impossible it would be,
but if it's even close to possible, please look into it.
2) Some work on a big, nasty brush engine would be good. Or maybe just
the ability to change the brush size?
3) An automatic color history, where all the colors which has been
used in a document are stored. The list could be sorted by how often
the color has been used, last time it was usedb (default), or by color
values such as hue, saturation or brightness.
4) Smooth zooming, where you move the curser up to zoom in, and down
to zoom out.
5) It would be handy if I could change the Gimp's language after the
6) Let the user chose from a number of keyboard shortcut presets, Such
as a Photoshop preset, a Gimp standard preset and others.
Gimp-developer mailing list