#1: A selection does not overlap its inverse.
#2: There is no need to keep track of which layers are associated with
each other (and for "switching between layers", presumably they would
need to be adjacent in the layerstack).
#3: Switching between "drawing zones" (i.e., inverting the selection)
uses the same keystroke/action regardless of which zone is active. (For
layers, the user would have to remember whether to activate the layer
above or below.)
#4: The Layers window is not cluttered with "zone layers".

> Lets try another description:
> Drawing zones would be like 2 or more non-overlapping selections
> that are active at the same time. Which one is applied to a drawing
> operation is determined by where the mouse/pen-down happens.

If the only difference is whether a mouse-click is used on the canvas or
a keystroke/menu/widget action is used to invert the selection, I
suspect you shall have a difficult time convincing the GIMP developers
to add your concept of a "drawing zone" to the core and have it honored
by all the paint tools.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do
not care who gets the credit." -- Harry S. Truman