On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 01:26:07PM +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> # The goal:
> Draw on several areas of an image while maintaining sharp edges
> around each of them (in many cases they will touch, so before I
> talked about edges between them).
> With the least amount of interruption!
> # Drawing zones
> # Stop lines

Thinking some more about this, a "switch to highest in the stack
layer with non-zero alpha at pointer location", option, triggered
on button/pen-down before drawing is actually executed could
do the trick while been least intrusive in GIMP.

It would be a bit like the Pick_a_layer_or_guide option of the
Move tool, allthough it might be of advantage to stay on the
last painted on layer, not jumping back to the previous layer

Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Creature Illustrations: