Currently scalable brush can be scaled with [ ] by default, what is very
fine. Could a mouse scroll wheel + some key modifier be used to act the
same as [ ] buttons?

I'm a right-handed person, so when I retouch a photo most of my actions
are connected with mouse movements and some left hand actions: Ctr+H,
Ctrl+C, Ctrl+wheel, Shift+wheel, Space. Rather often brush needs to be
scaled, so I have to left mouse and press [ or ] several times. The left
side of the keyboard is mostly taken with shotcuts.

I suggest adding Alt + wheel to act like [ ] for brush scaling. It could
be very convenient to a user not to leave a mouse for keyboard and due
the wheel is very well controllable and intuitive for scaling purposes.

With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich