On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 20:08 +0100, Michael Natterer wrote:
> I don't remember the actual math involved and didn't try to follow
> your elaborate code path description. When I implemented this it
> was pretty clear from the beginning that -100% 'L' would have to
> make the image all black and +100% 'L' all white, and all values
> in between would be linear interpolations. That's how it was
> implemented in the end.
>
> No voodoo involved :-)
>
> The only point potentially open for discussion would be what
> the proper word for 'L' is.

I think Lightness is fine from an end user perspective.

The docs need to be updated to reflect the real meaning behind the
slider (and it's name - the docs call it "Value" at the moment).  The
reason this came up at all was that someone asked what units were
associated with those sliders, which led me to ask what the real meaning
was for each slider.  Now I know.  :-)

I've got a minor patch for the english version of the online docs.  I'll
submit it to the gimp-docs mailing list.

Thanks.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://graphics-muse.org