On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 01:15:37 +0200, Martin Nordholts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> > One of the changes from GIMP 2.2 to 2.4 is the streamlining of some
> > tools [...] However, as noted by one user on IRC today, this has also
> > removed the
> > big "Crop" button that existed previously in the pop-up. [...]
> > One idea would be to put such a button in the status bar, just like
> > the Cancel button that appears when a plug-in displays its progress
> > information.
>
> Interesting observation, but does it make sense to have buttons in a
> place that (to my understanding) is supposed to be a "monologue", i.e.
> just providing information; not offer interaction? Wouldn't it make more
> sense to have this button in the Tool Options?

Well, the bug report was about having a button somewhere - anywhere.

The suggestion to place it in the status bar (in the same place as the
Cancel button that already appears when a plug-in is running) was just
an idea, but certainly not the only way to solve this problem
(assuming that we consider it as a real problem that has to be solved).

> Now, I know that we don't like more stuff in there, but imo that's the
> right place for such a button.

Tool options should be reserved for options, not for actions.  And
indeed, we have too much stuff in there: most users already have to
scroll in order to see all options.  On the other hand, we already
have some actions in there, such as "Auto Shrink Selection" (rectangle
tool) or "Create Selection from Path" and "Stroke Path" (paths tool).
So maybe we could add another button among the tool options.

I don't like the idea of overlays that has been suggested by others
(displaying controls over the image) and we should get rid of the
annoying pop-ups, so for the moment I only see the following options:
1) put the confirmation button in the status bar,
2) put the confirmation button in the tool options,
3) ignore the issue and assume that all users will read the message
   suggesting that they press Enter.
Other ideas or opinions are still welcome...

-Raphaël