I converted the script to python (useful script, btw -- thanks
Simon.), and I cannot reproduce this.
I did, however, find that I was occasionally tripped up by paint mode
-- for example, if Addition mode was selected rather than Normal, then
drawing black on a white background had no effect.
The other condition that can cause this appearance is when the
selection masks out all of the area you are stroking.