A change in file formats should be postponed until a bump in the major
version number takes place (per GNU coding standards?). But my
proposal of adding parasites containing layer group meta-data to files
saved in the current XCF standard is indeed merely an interim
solution, permitting time for a new format to be decided upon (not an
insignificant task in itself).