> Martin Nordholts wrote:
>
> But I still can't see why it would be a bad thing to allow donors to
> donate money to specific features and what legal problems that would
> then arise.
>
> The administrative overhead would fall on me to the extent possible, and
> as long as patches are GPL and taxes etc are handled, what legal
> problems would there be? Maybe these problems are bigger than I
> currently see

Many volunteer developers might be put off by the fact that the GIMP
project is compensating certain contributors while others are expected to
perform basically the same tasks for free. Gaining a few developers on
compensated projects might very well result in an overall loss in
development contributions.