On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 21:25 +0100, Eckhard M. J├Ąger wrote:

> I thought using gimp-file-save-thumbnail would be faster and uses less
> memory then opening the files like i did.

The thumbnails can in general only be generated by opening a file
and processing it, to get the image data and scale it down.

An exception is that some file formats can include a thumbnail that's
pregenerated, which might or might not be a useful size.

For most image formats you will probably find ImageMagick's mogrify
or convert to be faster, or perhaps netpbm.  But neither of those can
read GIMP .xcf save files as far as I know.