Hi,

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 10:48 +0100, peter sikking wrote:

> just to clarify: are you assuming that the whole window will become
> transparent and the desktop shines through?

No. That would be implementable as there's GTK+ API to do that (though
not supported on all platforms).

> I am talking about
> making some stuff transparent against a window background, hardly
> rocket science for GIMP...

There's no GTK+ API to do this (yet). Of course if all we have in the
window is a background image, then we could make the window background
shine through. But I still assume that we will have some useful content
in the window. Useful content means GTK+ widgets. And we can't (yet)
make GTK+ widgets translucent.

Even if this was possible, I still fail to see why this would be useful.
To be honest, I am completely baffled to hear such a thing proposed from
a user interface professional. What exactly, except for eye candy, is
the purpose of this?

> the slider is a dead serious key in the whole experience. to seamlessly
> track the mood of users over a a working day (or a hobby night) is
> worth gold in user interaction.

Would you please care to explain this?