some good news on this front, I have spent a couple of man-days
rethinking and re-specifying the ‘no image’ window situation.
It is now roughly complete:

If wrinkles need to be ironed out, let me know.

The further fall-out of getting this done is menubar integration
and getting the toolbox and inspectors off their main window
status (no more dialogs in the taskbar). All to general users'

Thanks to Martin Nordholts for encouraging me with true enthusiasm...

             man + machine interface works
 : on interaction architecture