Robert Krawitz wrote:
>    Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 18:55:07 -0400
>    From: Brian Vanderburg II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>    I don't know if this has been talked about yet but could be nice for a
>    future version of GIMP.
>
>    Currently, in order to use a custom brush/gradient/etc, you must first
>    create it, then edit/save/etc.  Every time you want a new brush you have
>    to create a new one, even if it is a temporary brush.  Instead why not
>    have the 'active' brush (and gradient,etc) always be user editable,
>    saved between sessions.
>
> How would you restore the original version of the brush, in case you
> edited it accidentally?

When you double-click on the brush in the brushes dialog (say Brush1),
it would copy that brush's settings to the internal active brush.
Changing the active brush would not change the settings of Brush1.  To
restore the original Brush1 settings, just double-click it again and it
would copy Brush1 to the active brush again.  To save settings you would
just click the save button and type the name of the brush to save to,
even Brush1 to overwrite it with new settings.  The 'active' has all the
settings of a brush, but it is a private brush (it has no name and is
not shown in the brushes list).  As you select a new brush in the
brushes list it just makes a copy of that brush in memory to the active
brush.

The idea is there is a global active brush in memory, all painting is
done with it (or if it is not saved between tools, then each tool has
it's own active brush).  Selecting a brush loads that brush and sets the
settings on the tool's active brush.  Even it the loaded brush is
read-only, the active brush can be edited, and upon closing the program,
would be saved out to a special location in the user data directory, not
back to the brush it was loaded from.  The user can choose to save the
brush, in which case a text entry dialog would appear allowing the user
to save.

The same could be done with gradients,  Loading a gradient simply loads
the selected gradient into an active gradient, which can always be
edited without being saved back out.  Then tools that use a gradient use
the active gradient.  If the user changes to a different gradient it
just loads that gradient into the active gradient.  When closing it
saves it in a special area somewhere.  The user could save the gradient
to a gradient file also.

Just an idea.
Brian Vanderburg II