GIMP 2.5.4 has been released yesterday. The source code can be
downloaded from ftp.gimp.org or one of the many mirrors listed at

This is expected to be the last release before the stable GIMP 2.6.0
release. We should be very careful now not to introduce new bugs. There
are only a handful of bugs left that need to be addressed before 2.6 and
I hope that we can push 2.6.0 out before the end of this month. There is
still a lot to do though. It would be nice if we could get the gimp.org
web-site prepared for 2.6. Martin is working on release notes as far as
I know. But I am sure he will appreciate your help. Some new screenshots
for http://gimp.org/screenshots/ would be nice as well. If you want to
help, please offer your help on this list or join #gimp on irc.gimp.org.

Translation updates would also be very much appreciated. If you want to
help, please contact your translation team at
http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/ Don't worry in case your translation does
not make it into 2.6.0. There are going to be regular 2.6 maintainance

Changes in GIMP 2.5.4

 - improved look and feel of the Navigation dialog and navigation popups
 - improved positioning of the image in the image window
 - by default turned off use of GEGL for color operations
 - moved the "Use GEGL" checkbox to the Debug menu
 - optimized the new scaling code
 - various fixes to the Python bindings
 - added Python bindings for most GIMP widgets to the gimpui module
 - merged GimpHRuler and GimpVRuler classes into GimpRuler
 - added Search entry to the Keyboard Shortcuts and Input Controller
   configuration dialogs
 - allow to drop images (in addition to URIs) on the empty image window
 - improved error handling in Script-Fu
 - merged upstream TinyScheme changes into Script-Fu interpreter
 - bug fixes and code cleanup

  Sven Neumann, Michael Natterer, Martin Nordholts, Tor Lillqvist,
  Lars-Peter Clausen, Michael Schumacher, Kevin Cozens,
  LightningIsMyName, David Gowers, Dennis Ranke