On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 13:33 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:

>     File->new from an image window copies the characteristics of
>     that window, too, so I now find myself creating grayscale
>     images all the time.

It would be nice if we could finally get to the overhaul of the
Templates menu in the "New Image" dialog. The combo-box on top should
not only list the templates, but also the image that the dialog was
called from and the New Image Defaults from the Preferences Dialog. Then
the combo-box wouldn't have to be empty, but would clearly indicate
where the settings shown below originate from. I think that would
eliminate quite some confusion.