I just announced on gnome-i18n that we will be doing the 2.6.1 release
in a few days, probably on Wednesday. There are a couple of bug-fixes in
trunk that are worthwhile to release. After the release, I will
immidiately create a gimp-2-6 branch for further maintainance. At that
point trunk will become GIMP 2.7 and we can start to add new stuff.

So now would be a good time to define some goals for GIMP 2.8. A few
items are definitely on our list already:

 - merge the successful GSoC projects
 - attempt a port of the projection code (and perhaps more) to GEGL
 - change tools to draw using the Cairo library

All of these three items will require further changes before another
stable release can be made. So that is quite a lot to do already, but we
could probably add a few more items to this list if there are developers
willing to work on them. So, what are your plans for 2.8?