Martin wrote:

> The layer mode combo box contains groups of layer modes. I fail to see
> the logic behind the current grouping and instead propose a new
> grouping. The new groups are:
>
> * Different alpha compositing methods
> * Modes that always gives a brighter result
> * Modes that always give a darker result
> * Overlay-like modes
> * Modes that can give completely different colors
> * Modes based on HSV/HSL.

grouping modes with similar results will help comparing and
goal-driven experimenting.

> The darker and lighter modes have been internally sorted based on how
> much they tend to affect the image, see end of mail.

is it then a coincidence you got implicitly almost every of
these groups labelled up by their first item (Lighten, Darken,
Overlay, Difference)? it is a good thing this is happening.

it is also good that as a result it is easier to guess what the
opposite of multiply is (screen). one thing that jars is that it
becomes clear that divide has no opposite/complementary mode.

> Attached to this mail is a patch that does this regrouping so you can
> try how it feels. Does anyone have any problems with me commiting
> that?
> If not I will commit it to trunk within a few days.

the only thing I would change is to swap the order of Grain merge and
Grain extract. simply because it is explained as a workflow in that
order in the manual.

> New groups:
>
> Normal
> Dissolve