David Gowers wrote:
> I'm assuming that the separate layer modes will eventually separate
> into their own files for reasons of speed, in which case this is
> trivial to implement; request LAB color as the input format, apply
> normal blending to A and B channels,
> leave L channel unchanged from dest. I would certainly be willing to
> do that when the time comes.

I have ported almost all (only Soft light pending) layer modes to a GEGL
operation. It is yet unclear if this will be eventually used or if it
will more serve as a reference implementation, but in any case would
improvements to how Color behaves best be written against this file:

As you can see the whole thing is very readable and patchable. If you in
GIMP trunk do View -> Use GEGL then the above GEGL operation is used for
compositing the projection. Once the port is complete I will write a
mail to this list explaining some important differences between this op
and the legacy layer mode compositing.