Hi all,

we have discussed this intensely before, the ambiguity of what you
really
got in your document window after opening--or saving to--a non-GIMP-type
image (e.g. jpeg, png).

The discussion returned on the irc this Monday, and I realised then
that some remaining nagging use cases could be solved elegantly,
and that rationalising the whole situation does not look to be
a tour de force.

So here is a short spec:

<http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Save_%2B_export_specification>

all we need is some keyboard shortcuts...

ps: that was just a holiday from working on this:

<http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Transformation_tool_specification>

     --ps

             man + machine interface works